Queer Pole is pole dancing lessons for people who identify as LGBTQ+. Queer Pole is founded on the principle that pole should be accessible; as such Queer Pole aims to create a safe space for LGBTQ+ people which is financially viable for everyone. The lessons aim to be explicitly inclusive of QTIPOC, trans & non-binary people, and queer sex workers. In order to be as inclusive as possible the lessons run on a tiered payment system with no-one turned away for lack of funds.
More broadly, Queer Pole aims to:
- Treat everyone as individuals
- Use ungendered marketing
- Use ungendered language/no gender assumptions made in class (e.g. class not greeted with “hello ladies”)
- Foster an environment where your pronouns, names and identities will be respected by those around you
- Be explicitly inclusive of QTIPOC, trans people, including non-binary trans people, asexual people and sex workers
- Have a zero tolerance for racism, xenophobia, homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, sexism, islamophobia or any other religious intolerance, whorephobia, fatphobia and slut shaming
- Focus on having fun, being yourself and building confidence in your body and identity
- Always get explicit verbal consent before spotting/general touch
- Focus on individual journeys, not competition between others or yourself
- Be body positive and body inclusive
- Run on a tiered payment scale, with no-one turned away for lack of funds on the understanding that these lessons are aimed at marginalised people who may not have access to income in the same way as others
- Have access to gender neutral toilets
In addition to our standard Queer Pole Classes which are suited to all levels, we also run Queer Pole Foundations & Queer Pole Inverts+ on a fortnightly basis, and Queer Pole Choreo & Heels Queer Pole on a monthly basis. Check out our booking system for more details on when these are running.